Some modern computers are built with two internal graphics cards. Usually, there is an integrated Intel graphics card and a high performance graphics card (NVIDIA and/or ATI/AMD cards are the most common). The frustrating part is that the operating system usually defaults to running programs on the integrated card which often yields sub-optimal results. We recommend forcing Monolith to use your high-performance card, if possible. Below are set of steps on how to configure your graphics cards for optimal performance for Monolith.
These steps will vary from computer to computer, but the following is a good guide for how to get started.
Configuring an integrated Intel graphics card
- Right click on your desktop and select Graphic Properties. This will open the Intel HD Graphics Control Panel.
- Select the 3D category to configure how 3D images are displayed on your computer. Under General Settings (far right) select the Quality setting. Click Apply.
- Go back to the Home menu (click on the house icon in the upper left). Next, let's change the power settings. Set the power plan to Maximum Performance. If you run your laptop on battery, then select the On Battery (far left) and also set it for Maximum Performance. Click Apply.
- Close the Intel HD Graphics Control Panel.
Configuring an NVIDIA graphics card
- Right-click on your desktop again. This time select the control panel for your NVIDIA graphics card.
- Click on 3D Settings (far left) and open the Adjust Image Settings With Preview. Select Use My Preference Emphasizing: Quality. Click Apply.
- Click on the Manage 3D Settings (far left). Click on the tab to adjust the Global Settings. Select the High-performance NVIDIA processor as your preferred graphics processor. Click Apply.
- Click on the tab to adjust the Program Settings. Open the drop down menu to select the program that you would like to customize. If the Monolith application doesn't show up in the list, click on the Add button. Search for the Monolith application (the location should be C:/Program Files/Monolith/Monolith.exe). Now, open the drop down menu in step 2 and select the High-performance NVIDIA processor as the preferred graphics processor for this program. Click Apply.
- Close the NVIDIA Control Panel.
Note: You may also want to ensure that your graphics card drivers are up to date. Click here to search for the latest NVIDIA drivers.